Sunday 27 March 2016

Report and Reflection 11- MORE Synthesizing, Remixing, and Creating: Webcasting



This week we learned about podcasts and screencasts and got some experience with them. I myself never really listened to or watched podcasts and screencasts before this but learned about the interesting and useful features they had. In the CNN video it describes podcasting, which allow you to download different talk shows the same way you would with movies or music. For example I know many podcasts are available for download off of itunes. There are all sorts of different kinds of podcasts about all sorts of things including sports, movies, fishing or anything you could think off! Podcasts are audio files that can be played on an iPod, iPhone, tablet  or any portable music device. Screencasts are similar to the podcast but includes a visual aspect. In the reading by Good (2007), they are described as digital recordings of a computer screen output and often contains audio narration. Screencasts are basically movies of the changes over time a user sees on their computer screen, but also with audio. There are multiple screencasting software available to create your own, which you can then put online.  

once I looked at the different tools and what they offer, it was interesting to see certain tools that could be used for Podcasts. For example SoundCloud was listed as a tool, which was a tool I was aware of and have used in the past to listen to music, but I never considered the possibility to use it to download and upload Podcasts. After reading about Podcasts it makes perfect sense though to use Soundcloud to find Podcasts and to even create your own! These different creative tools have contributed to my overall digital knowledge because I have learned about even more ways to present information digitally. Podcasts and screencasts present an alternative displaying information in just written text by instead expressing knowledge through audio and visual ways, which can allow many new fun and creative ways to present information. This sets it apart from other collaborative/communication tools. They allow you to personalize your presentation by having you narrate, as if you are doing a presentation.

I do not think I would include these in my PLE, because I do not see myself ever creating them. But if I were to listen to Podcasts then I could add it to my leisure section of my PLE. I do not think I would use a podcast or screencast for learning purposes but could see myself listening to a podcast just for fun in the future!

This weekend, with it being Easter and all, I found a video from Business Insider on my Feedly about Kinder Surprise eggs. It was a video unboxing a number of these chocolate eggs and highlighting them for the American audience. The reason for this is because they are illegal in the US. I found this surprising because they are so popular here in Canada and all over the World, and are so tasty! So I was interested in finding out why they were illegal. It turns out the small toys found inside the eggs are considered choking hazards so they are banned!
Kinder Surprise [Online Image] Retrieved from http://revolvingfloor.com/issues/1/let-us-now-praise-chocolate-eggs/

Talk with you next week,

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment