Sunday 7 February 2016

Report and Reflection 4- Curating the web



This week had me learning about curation tools. Curation tools are yet another tool that can be used on the web that I am not familiar with. Curation tools are various websites that provide different ways for content curation. In the article Content Curation Primer, content curation primer is defined as “the process of sorting through the vast amounts of content on the web and presenting it in a meaningful and organized way around a specific theme.” (Kanter, 2011) Curation is a tool that can be used to find and present the most relevant information for the topic you are interested in and to find that information in a timely matter. 
(2014, March 28) Curata [Online Image] Retrieved from http://www.curata.com/blog/content-curation-tools-the-ultimate-list/

After reading through some of the articles related to content curation I was definitely interested in learning about it and using it. Not only for personal use, but especially for homework or even potentially work. “Content Curation is certainly more necessary than ever, a critical task in the business environment, not only in Marketing, Communications or Advertising, but it is especially so in areas such as Product, Innovation, Customer Service or Human Resources.” (Fiorelli, 2011) This quote interested me because learning how to use curation tools could potentially help me later on when I am working in a business environment and to help build my knowledge. 

When it came to the learning activities and bookmarking, I realized that I haven’t really utilized the bookmarking feature much before. I looked at my bookmarks, and of the ones I had only one was a site I found interesting. The rest were all articles I was using at the time for whichever assignments I had to write. I would bookmark potential articles I could use for a paper I was writing so I could come back to them later when I was ready to start writing. The curation tool however could be useful for properly organizing any bookmarks I may have.

The site I chose to look at was Scoop.it. On this site I could search various keywords in order to research a specific topic. The site was then display relevant articles or sites for me to view. I choose to look up information on the commercial sign industry, since I am doing a project on it for a different class. Unfortunately after messing around with a number of different keywords I was unable to find any articles that were related to this topic. Maybe it was my own fault for not making a better search but whatever I typed in did not bring up anything related to what I was looking for.

(2013, April 1) Email Etiquette [Online Image]
 Retrieved from  http://quickbase.intuit.com
/blog/10-tips-for-better-email-etiquette
From my Feedly reader, I read up on a useful article about email etiquette from business insider titled 15 email etiquette rules every professional should know. The article provided a number of tips for writing appropriate, professional emails. Tips such as including a clear, direct subject line or having a professional email address were all basic but important reminders that I was interesting in reading about and could help me in the future.


 Thanks to anyone reading, I’m looking forward to learning about more useful tools next week.

-Jordan R.


No comments:

Post a Comment