Sunday 31 January 2016

Report & Reflection 3 - Putting the Internet to Work for YOU!



(2014, November 12).
Feedly Logo [Online Image]
Retrieved from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedly#
mediaviewer/File:Feedly-logo.png




Once I finished creating my Feedly account, I been to subscribe to a number of different websites and blogs. Feedly is a new and interesting way for me to view content on the internet. I have always had my own list of sites that I like to view, and many of them I would check daily for updates and new articles. With Feedly, I can set it up to have all the content that I am interested in come to me, instead of actively searching for it myself. (Rowse,2010) says that RSS is a technology that is being used by millions of web users around the world to keep track of their favourite website. RSS flips things around a little and is a technology that provides you with a method of getting relevant and up to date information sent to you for you to read in your own time. It saves you time and helps you to get the information you want quickly after it was published. By using Feedly I could save on both effort and time.

After searching different categories of blogs on Feedly, I found that I was most interested in reading about sports related topics, and was more interested in reading blogger’s opinions when it had to do with sports. One of the sites I decided to follow was Bleacher Report. This site provides all sorts of articles on every sport, with many articles jumping out at me. For example, one of the articles was about tennis, titled “Australian Open 2016: Winners andLosers from Melbourne” which reviewed the performances of a number of players in the tournament. This article was interesting to me because I did not have the time to watch much of the tournament myself, but the article provided me with a performance review for each of the major players I was interested in. This site also provides basic sports updates, opinion pieces and lists all having to do with what sport I wish to read about!


Andreevich, I (2008, March 17) Novak Djokovic 
 Volley [Online Image] Retrieved from   
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/
File:Novak_Djokovic_Volley_01.jpg
In relation to digital citizenship, having and actively using RSS Feed Readers is a way to make sure that you are an active participant in the digital world. These feed readers also make is much easier for someone to be connected to the online world by providing so many different feeds all in one place. By being so much easier to use, the RSS feed reader encourages users to be more active online, and to search content and participate in more online, which would lead to a larger digital footprint for that person. Users can tailor their own feeds according to their own interests and beliefs, which would in turn tailor and affect their digital footprint. Personally, I can also add Feedly to my PLE, since it can integrate many of the things that were already in my PLE, plus provide easy access to many more blogs/sites/etc.

After reading about and using RSS Feed Readers and Feedly, I believe that it is a useful tool that can provide me with what I want to know in a quick and efficient way, and opens things up for further learning!

- Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment